Saturday, January 30, 2010

Grinding Session


This is how the grinder gets to where she is going. Horsepower


I woke up early Thursday to get my grind on. Right now I'm discovering what size jars I should purchase so that I can at least break even in profits. I figured out that 1 pound of nuts grinds down to about two 9 Oz jars. I have yet to discover a direct source for nuts, but as long as i keep grinding, start selling, and continue to talk to people about the Machine, I know it is only a matter of time for for some hazelnut orchards to turn up in and around Olympia.


This action shot shows the burr plates spinning and churning some fresh butter.
"If only you could capture the smell in these pictures" -Kevin Marl, photographer and historian extraordinaire.


There is the coveted nut butter. These pictures show me grinding on my back porch, but I will be producing the butter I will sell in the Olympia Community Kitchen, so that i can receive my food processing business license.


The hopper and some toasted nuts.


Finished product. I was sadly informed this week that the Olympia Farmer's Market is not accepting applications for any new food processing vendors this year. Unfortunately profits were down last year, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for next year and sell my product on the street for the time being. I'm also going to look into selling it at the Olympia Food Co-op and at The Flaming Eggplant Cafe.


My home and the dream machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment